TradeUp funds students through trade school (think electricians, welders, pharmacists, or solar technicians). We use ISAs, or income-share agreements, which have far more protections for students than traditional private loans, and we're defining a new financial securities market around these ISAs.
We also partner with the top trade schools and employers in the country to get our students jobs, and we're excited to bring our students banking and other financial services in the future.
We went through Y Combinator and are a small, well-funded company. You'll be joining an experienced team - our first few hires include the former CIO of HSBC Bank, who previously managed JP Morgan's entire $280b US investment portfolio in 17 years there; and the former head of student success at SoFi, who was one of their earliest employees.
As a Financial Analyst, you'll work with TradeUp as we become the brand that represents every trade worker in America. We're a remote team, and will be based in NYC mid-to-late next year.
To apply, you can use Work at a Startup, or email us at [email protected]!
About this role:
- You'll be our ~18th team member, and 4th financial hire after our veteran CIO, CRO, and Data Scientist.
- You'll work on our internal models - building TradeUp's fund model and underwriting process.
- You'll make key portfolio management decisions, and shape our investment process and growing financial products from the very start.
- You'll work in a small team, alongside the former CIO of HSBC, who previously managed JP Morgan's entire $280b US portfolio, and with SoFi's former head of student success (one of their earliest employees), and our CRO with more than 25 years of experience.
- You'll help us build an empathetic, inclusive, and supportive culture that puts students first.
- Analyze data patterns on program and ISA performance using Python, SQL and Excel to guide business decisions
- Develop new and maintain existing pricing, cashflow and balance sheet forecasting tools in Excel, Python and other programming, data and statistical languages to streamline and optimize the merchant underwriting process
- Work with sales to collect data for potential partnering programs to input into pricing models and recommend strategic pricing solutions to win the deal while ensuring internal profitability is met
- Develop and maintain a near-autonomous and complex validation system to compare modeled outcomes of cashflow, program and ISA performance vs. actual results in “real time”, report out to senior management on impacts seen in deviation from expectations, adjust forecast tools accordingly
- Creatively find ways to combine algebra, statistics, inferencing, probability concepts and multiple regression and/or machine learning to fine tune forecasting efficacy while navigating through small data samples that expand in availability and complexity over time
- Maintain detailed documentation on forecasting methods, assumptions and rate sheet pricing decisions through project management software
- Upload and update data sources to support forecasting and underwriting platforms
- Work with data scientists to procure and format data as needed to support advance underwriting platform development
- Work with engineering to outline the necessary analytical infrastructure to support both the data needs of the forecasting team and process simplification for the program pricing and underwriting platform
- Develop reporting packages to allow management to track KPI’s
- Manually review ISA applications and credit bureaus as needed to support underwriting
- Other duties as assigned to support the credit and analytics function
Need To Haves
- Undergraduate degree in Math/Stats, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering or Economics
- Ability to effectively communicate complex tools and analysis to both highly technical and non-technical audiences
- Training in Python, R or data manipulation and/or statistical programming languages
Nice To Haves
- Undergraduate degree in Math/Stats, Computer Science, Data Science, or a postgraduate degree in data analytics for business competency
- Prior experience using Python, SQL and Excel
- Prior experience forecasting consumer credit products
Growing at TradeUp:
If you're interested in working at a tech startup, this is a unique chance to take on a lot of responsibility early in your career, learn about everything from sales to product management, and work in the capital markets alongside some of the best fund managers on the planet. As always, there's lots of early-stage flexibility with defining where you grow over time.
At TradeUp, we will treat you well with a competitive salary and equity offer. Depending on your risk tolerance, we would love to talk more with you about the range of options available between the two.
Our tech stack: postgresql, Python, Flask, React, and React Native. We use Docker and AWS for infrastructure!