Senior Software Engineer
We're Karat. We're building the black card for creators (YouTubers, Instagrammers, Twitch streamers).
Banks don't understand creators today and are ill-equipped to serve this demographic. You could have millions of fans, make six or seven digit figures, and still be unable to access typical financial products from your average bank.
Our team comes from Instagram and Goldman Sachs and we understand these creators are businesses with real income streams along with predictive metrics like fan base, growth, and engagement.
We're backed by investors like YC, Coatue, CRV, Signalfire, and the cofounder of Twitch, and are hiring folks interested in building products at the intersection of fintech and media.
Skills: MongoDB, Node.js, React
We're building a bank for digital creators.
Banks don't understand creators today. Our customers create content for millions as a full time career but receive poor service and terrible rates from banks, wasting them both time and money. We're building a bank for digital content creators across Instagram, YouTube, Twitch and TikTok, providing them with better rates and savings as their followings grow. We're looking for hungry and ambitious engineers to help us!
Huge opportunity. Over the past decade, we've seen the democratization of content creation and user-generated content, in part due to platforms such as Instagram and TikTok. Creators have built deeply engaged communities that support their work in a way we've never seen before. As they grow as a business, they need better banking tools and financial products.
Fascinating problems. Where else do you get to discuss the most recent TikTok trends and the right way to build a financial product in the same day? Financial tools are complicated and creators need a simple experience. Help us bridge the two worlds!
The right team. Our team has worked at the largest investment banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley), investment managers (Blackstone, TPG) and social networks (Instagram). We started this company because we want to leverage our experiences to help creators - and hope you do too!
Culture. We love hanging out with board games, delicious dinners, and brisk hikes as much as we enjoy delving into personal philosophy, management theory, and nitty gritty business details. Don't be afraid to bring yourself to work!
Resources and growth. We're well capitalized with $4.6M in seed funding from world-class investors including Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, SignalFire, Y Combinator, CRV, Coatue and more. We keep a lean team, and this is a rare opportunity to join us - you'll learn a lot, build cool products, and grow as our company scales!
What You'll Do
- Help build zero to one product: conceptualizing, designing, and coding - solving problems that span multiple domains. For example, building a decoupled debit card from scratch, analytics tools to help influencers understand their finances, and savings accounts
- Refine current product: building new functionality, refactoring and improving usability and performance. For example, improving our charge card onboarding flow
- Create internal tooling that helps us support creators. For example, tools that help with customer support and operations or dashboards that help us understand influencer spending behavior
- Refine our underwriting algorithm, helping us to assess digital creators as businesses and to understand the links between social and financial data
- Lead integrations with our financial and banking partners. For example, building a Karat savings account product while leveraging a partner's core banking technology
- Help drive company and product strategy as we change how creators and influencers do business
What You'll Need
- Ability to learn quickly
- Enjoy picking up new technologies and languages on the go
- A love for solving difficult problems with a team of smart peers
- You're user focused - you love talking to users, learning their pain points, and brainstorming how best to solve their problems
- Prior experience building web applications that have grown quickly and scaled to handle many users
- Fluency with React and consider yourself full-stack.
- Bonus: you're knowledgeable and have previously worked in fintech, with influencers or at a startup
Even if you don't necessarily meet all of these qualifications, please reach out! We're always on the search for great talent and would love to get to know you!
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Health insurance
- Flexible and remote work culture
- Meet with and build for your favorite creators
This is a full-time role. We're based in SF and LA, but we're remote-friendly!