Backend Software Engineer
$110k - $160k • 0.20% - 0.50%
TradeUp funds students through trade school (think electricians, welders, pharmacists, or solar technicians). We use ISAs, or income-share agreements, which have far more protections for students than traditional private loans, and we're defining a new financial securities market around these ISAs.
We also partner with the top trade schools and employers in the country to get our students jobs, and we're excited to bring our students banking and other financial services in the future.
We went through Y Combinator and are a small, well-funded company. You'll be joining an experienced team - our first few hires include the former CIO of HSBC Bank, who previously managed JP Morgan's entire $280b US investment portfolio in 17 years there; and the former head of student success at SoFi, who was one of their earliest employees.
Skills: Python, React
As a Software Engineer, you'll work with TradeUp as we become the brand that represents every trade worker in America. We're a remote team, and will be based in NYC mid-to-late next year.
To apply, you can use Work at a Startup or email us at [email protected]!
About this role:
- You'll be our 18th team member, and the fifth member of our product team.
- You'll work on our core software - building TradeUp's lending platform and underwriting model.
- You'll make architecture decisions and shape our technical process from the very start.
- You'll work in a small team, alongside three other engineers and a designer.
- You'll help us build an empathetic, inclusive, and supportive culture, that puts our students first.
Projects you might work on:
- Designing and launching the backend for a new financial literacy section in our companion mobile app
- Adding to our underwriting model, to score new applicants based on a variety of credit and non-credit data
- Writing scripts to summarize student payments for investor reports, disburse funds, and flag lagging partners
- Owning the architecture and launch of a credit-building card, for new applicants who don't have a bank account or credit history
- You have had significant ownership over production backend code in tech startups before.
- You're excited about working on a small team, or have worked with a small team before.
- You have strong CS fundamentals in algorithms and data structures.
- You're interested in growing at your job and setting a long term vision for our engineering organization.
- You'd like to learn more about other parts of TradeUp, like our back-office automation or projected returns model.
Growing at TradeUp:
If you're interested in working in fintech, this is a unique opportunity to learn about capital markets and securities alongside some of the best fund managers on the planet. As always, there's lots of early-stage flexibility with defining what you'd like to work on, and you'll have lots of room to grow into other areas of the business, like building our fund's automated back-office or working with our credit-risk / underwriting model.
There's also tons of opportunity to make product and design decisions, interview users & customers, and design efficient systems as we scale rapidly.
At TradeUp, we will treat you well with a competitive salary and equity offer. Depending on your risk tolerance, we would love to talk more with you about the range of options available between the two.
Our tech stack: React, Python, Flask, postgresql, and React Native.