Lead DevOps Engineer
$140k - $160k • 0.12% - 0.15%
OpenInvest is a YCombinator and Andreessen Horowitz-backed startup delivering the infrastructural layer for the post-fund, customized, transparent future of investing. All investors can now divest-invest, vote shareholder resolutions with a swipe, participate in social campaigns, measure their impact, and exert their influence as the true owners of the economy.
OpenInvest is a fast growing early stage fintech company backed by major VCs. Our mission is to overhaul financial systems and align capital with social and environmental values. As one of the first companies to combine algorithmic investing with sustainable and responsible investment, we stand apart for the transparency, usability and customizability of the portfolios created on our platform.
Through our values and technology, we plan to create the next great disruption in finance. We are a Public Benefit Corporation and are supported in our mission by some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley.
OpenInvest is looking for a Lead Devops Engineer to own and shape our devops and infrastructure across all fronts. This will require understanding our business use cases, technology constraints and critical requirements, and choosing the appropriate tools and technologies to meet those goals. Projects will range from developer happiness to network security to on demand environment provisioning, and will be critical for improving the resiliency, supportability, security, and quality of OpenInvest’s systems and infrastructure.
Location: This role can be filled anywhere in the US. OpenInvest is based in San Francisco.
Who You Are
- You are passionate about technology as a tool for solving problems
- You are a practical decision maker that balances long-term and short-term concerns
- You demonstrate a strong sense of personal ownership and integrity
- You have an honest, direct, but empathetic approach to relationships and personal growth
- You are curious about technology and tools
- You want to change the world for the better
- Lead and shape our devops and infrastructure toolchain, strategy, and implementation across all fronts
- Support increased scale, improved security, higher availability, strong resiliency, and other important ilities (qualities) via infrastructure solutions and patterns
- Build and lead development of dev tooling, such as on demand or containerized dev and QA environments, continuous integration and continuous deployment, etc.
- Lead security projects with both internal and external resources
- Contribute to observability and monitoring tools to detect issues, measure performance and provide telemetry for developers.
- Lead release management, rollout & deployment of services
- Define and lead implementation of infosec and site reliability best practises
- Participate in code-reviews, rotating on-call, architecture reviews, and project planning.
- Mentor other engineers
- 5+ years devops experience, ideally in a lead or managing role
- Deep experience with AWS (Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda, EC2, Aurora, S3, VPC, and more)
- Experience with modern network security best practices, tooling, and technology, especially using AWS tools
- Experience with containerization and orchestration tools such as kubernetes and EKS
- Experience with site reliability tooling for metrics, alerting, log aggregation, monitoring, etc.
- Believer in infrastructure-as-code and other principles of devops repeatability, transparency, and portability
- Comfortable working in an honest and transparent culture; providing and receiving meaningful and intentional feedback
Nice to Haves
- Experience or interest in financial services or asset management
- Expertise in data engineering tooling and platforms
- Windows Server and MS SQL Server experience
- Experience with or certification with Kubernetes (to ease migration efforts ~ or just Docker experience)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
OpenInvest’s core values include:
- Pursuing a challenging mission
- Thriving on transparency
- Maintaining high standards of integrity
- Guaranteeing the right to be heard
- Prioritizing personal growth
- Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We encourage you to give and receive earnest and constructive feedback. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term company-wide goals.
OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture. We are committed to include these elements in every aspect of our company.
- Full medical and dental + dependents
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Lunch stipend
AWS (Aurora, Redshift, EC2, RDS, Lambda, EB, Glue), Node.js, React, React Native, Python, GraphQL, MySQL, Tableau, Segment, Pagerduty, Papertrail