Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our team is passionate about accelerating scientific research through well-designed, meaningful tools for academic and industry labs alike.
Quartzy is seeking a VP of Engineering to help us scale our Engineering team. You’ll have a chance to have a major impact in growing our organization.
We’ve recently shifted to a distributed work model so this role is remote. In the Bay Area and want to work in an office? No problem, we’ve got an office in Hayward.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our software combines lab resource management and eCommerce, producing unique value in this large market, returning time to researchers who can focus on their next discoveries. Our customer range from wine makers, to food/ag companies, to companies working on COVID testing and therapies. We are humbled every day to serve them.
Quartzy is entering a new stage of growth, and we are looking for a Vice President (VP) of Engineering who has experience managing agile development teams. You will grow and manage the entire team of engineers including engineering managers, architects, quality assurance engineers and site reliability engineers. You will work with our product team on roadmapping and then ensure you have the resources and the structure necessary to hit our timelines. You will ensure the engineers are well mentored and excited to tackle the technical challenges ahead of us.
What you'll do
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of engineers
- Measure individual and team performance
- Restructure teams to meet the delivery needs of the company
- Recruit and develop top engineering talent
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure quality standards are met and maintained
- Maintain and optimize budgets to meet goals
- Understand and collaborate on complete product lifecycle from concept to execution
- Implement new technology and ideas to improve sprints and efficiency
What we're looking for
- Bachelors degree or higher in computer science or a related discipline
- 5+ years experience managing high performance engineering teams of more than 20 engineers and including managers
- Exceptional communication: Your written communication is concise and you can verbalize why certain choices were made and the pros/cons of any alternatives you considered. You motivate and excite people when you communicate
- An open mind - You take feedback without defensiveness and will incorporate other people’s perspectives if they make sense
- Unwavering work ethic: You can predict problems before they arise and prevent them from happening. You are willing to put in the hours to achieve the company’s goals
- Experience structuring teams to align with company objectives, and measuring their performance
- Experience developing engineers to realize their full potential
- A bias for action: You like to move quickly, and are always iterating on ideas
- An ownership mentality: You possess a natural tendency to take initiative
What we offer
- A Product/Design/Engineering led organization where we strive to uncover our customers’ core problems and build innovative solutions for them.
- Rich benefits package, which includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and more
- Dynamic, transparent, and quirky company culture. Read more about it here!