Flock makes wireless security systems for neighborhoods and police departments.
While only 13% of non-violent crime is solved today, with our wireless license plate reading cameras, our goal is to take that to 100%.
Skills: Android, Linux
Eliminate Crime. Build Community.
Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised approximately 250M in venture capital including a recent Series D round by Andreessen Horowitz. Now surpassing a 1B valuation, Flock is scaling quickly and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of eliminating crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
About the opportunity
Flock is looking to add an Firmware Engineer to our device firmware team. Our device team is made up of dedicated engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by creating firmware that reliably captures, processes, and uploads over 200M images per day for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running.
How You Will Take Flight With Flock
- Bring-up new hardware device(s) to run Linux and Android OS, working with SoC vendors and other hardware partners
- Integrate and port new device drivers to Linux/Android BSP for Flock custom hardware platforms as well as adding new features to existing drivers.
- Work with the hardware, framework and application teams to provide Linux Kernel and Userpace systems that enable needed functionality in our Android-based devices (e.g. cameras drivers, environmental sensor integration, power management subsystems, etc.)
- Develop, port, test, optimize and debug Linux device drivers and C++ Android HAL interfaces
- Ensure the stability and robustness of the system software through the entire lifecycle; from ideation through production and launch particularly as it pertains to device drivers, Kernel memory, process and disk I/O management
- Work effectively across a variety of engineering and field operations teams to determine requirements for new features as well as resolve existing issues in field units
- Develop and validate systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve Kernel and Firmware
- Balance performance with energy consumption; performance and power optimization is one of our key growth opportunities - we're a machine learning enabled media processing machine powered by the sun!
- Integrate multiple IoT devices together to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment
- Improve the quality, functionality and security of the platform and devices
- Have a strong passion for robust, sustainable and scalable Linux kernel feature development and code
- Have a strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Have extensive development experience within embedded systems/firmware design particularly Linux and peripheral devices
- Have extensive experience coding in C; some experience with userspace C++ is a plus
- Have extensive experience with the full Linux kernel and device driver development lifecycle from creation to test, debug and resolution of field issues in remote devices not physically accessible
- Have experience with common peripheral bus technologies including SPI, I2C, UART, ideally within the context of the modern Linux kernel
- Have experience dealing with Linux kernel internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency/synchronization, disk partitioning and imaging, memory allocation)
- Have experience working in Linux development environment and Command-Line only tooling
- Experience with Android system software and Android HAL/HIDL is a plus
- Experience with cellular modems, particularly 4G and/or Sierra Wireless is a plus
- Specific experience with Linux Kernel 3.x or 3.18 is a plus
- Experience with Linux kernel on ARM and specifically Qualcomm devices is a plus
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary (commensurate with experience), equity in the company, take what you need vacation policy, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth mission-driven startup. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one community at a time
Main Stack: Scala (Play), Typescript (Node.js), React Native, Postgres DB, Standard frontend goodness (jQuery, KnockoutJS, CSS3). Hosted on AWS (Elastic Beanstalk) using Docker.
Camera Firmware: Embedded Android running on a custom PCB that we develop in house.
Machine Learning: TensorFlow, TF Serving, Kubernetes