People and Culture / HR Manager
AptDeco (YC W14) is a peer-to-peer managed marketplace for buying and selling quality used furniture. We are making the exchange of home decor easy for everyone. Our customers love us because we take care of all the logistics on their behalf. We’re a fast growing NYC based startup. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the secondhand furniture industry. Moving is already stressful and we’re working everyday to ease this hassle for people.
AptDeco is looking for a People and Culture Manager / HR Manager who is excited to play a critical role in scaling the AptDeco team. As the first "People" hire this role requires someone who is self-motivated, data driven and comfortable hiring and nurturing a wide range of talent.
About AptDeco AptDeco (YC W14) is a venture backed peer-to-peer marketplace for buying and selling quality furniture. We are making the exchange of home decor easy for everyone. Our customers love us because we take care of all the logistics on their behalf.
We’re a fast growing NYC based start up. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the furniture industry. Moving is already stressful and we’re working everyday to ease this hassle for people across the NYC tri-state and beyond.
AptDeco is an exciting position. We're fortunate to have an amazing team who have helped to cultivate an ambitious, data driven, passionate and humble culture. This amazing team has produced an extremely loyal AptDeco customer base in the NYC tristate. We're now ready to expand the business and need to build our team in order to do so. Our Director of People and Culture will lead this exciting effort!
The Role: This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to, assessing, nurturing and developing a wide range of personnel from software engineers to delivery team members. The right person for this role wants to build and establish a comprehensively strong company culture
- Work closely with department leaders to understand team building needs
- Source, discover screen and hire for various roles at AptDeco
- Create programs to strategically assess, coach, develop and nurture talent
- Facilitate company hangouts and team building activities
- Collect, analyze and report on recruiting data metrics, in addition to making prompt and thoughtful process changes based on findings
- Find, assess and implement HR / Recruiting SAAS tools
- Develop and implement onboarding and training programs
- Proactively address employee relation issues through maintaining a safe workplace and promoting an inclusive and collaborative culture
- Monitor performance evaluations and ensures they are done in a timely manner
- Handle and monitor all FMLA, etc employee requests from start to finish Maintain compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations
- Compensation and benefits management
- Bachelor’s Degree with 7+ years of human resource management experience
- Strong understanding of analytics (Excel, data visualization tools)
- Experience with scaling an organization
- Extensive experience building innovative, forward-thinking, business focused HR and talent strategies that contribute to a strong high performing culture
- Expertise in various HR programs including, but not limited to recruiting, on-boarding, compensation, benefits, performance management, leadership development, employee relations, etc.
- A deep understanding of how to run a high quality, full cycle recruiting process
- Experience with1099 workforce
- Strong knowledge of how an hourly workforce operates
- Desire to hire, build and retain a large world class furniture delivery team
- A desire to hire the best — constantly working toward company goals with a strong sense of urgency
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication (both verbal and via data visualizations) skills
- Extremely personable and approachable; ability to connect with all levels of the organization
- Self-starter; well organized, detail-oriented and capable of prioritizing numerous tasks in order to meet strict deadlines; high aptitude for problem solving and decision making
- Experience coaching, influencing, and problem-solving with and for team members
- Experience quickly diagnosing challenges, strategizing solutions, and implementing change
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Proven success managing and engaging a team in a fast paced, start-up environment
We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning. We believe in using the best tools for the job, and programming languages are a tool at the end of the day.