$120k - $160k •
Recidiviz is a non-profit technology company based in San Francisco, CA. We build common, open source technical infrastructure to help the criminal justice system end mass incarceration and focus on ongoing iteration towards better outcomes.
Criminal justice data today is inefficient and ineffective: researchers, advocates, policymakers and practitioners each need funding and time for data collection and cleaning (for almost any data at all), and most data collected is too stale by the time it’s compiled to be useful.
Recidiviz has built an open-source platform to ingest data from across data silos, link it, standardize it, and expose it in usable formats to the ecosystem. We’re building some of our own interventions on top of this platform and working with other non-profits to use it to power research at scale, inform agency decision-making, motivate policy changes, and monitor their impact.
Skills: Python, Google Cloud, Data Modeling
Recidiviz is a non-profit technology company based in San Francisco, CA. We build common, open source technical infrastructure to help the criminal justice system end mass incarceration and focus on ongoing iteration towards better outcomes (both for the public and the individuals in the system).
Criminal justice data today is inefficient and ineffective: researchers, advocates, policymakers and practitioners each need funding and time for data collection and cleaning, and most data collected is too stale by the time it’s compiled to be actionable.
Recidiviz has built an open-source platform to ingest data from across data silos, link it, standardize it, and expose it in usable formats to the ecosystem. We’re building some of our own interventions on top of this platform and working with other NGOs to use it to power research at scale, inform agency decision-making, motivate policy changes, and monitor their impact.
Recidiviz was an all-volunteer effort until early-2019. Since February 2019, we’ve built an A-team that brings together technical and criminal justice expertise, participated in YCombinator’s Summer 2019 class, onboarded several states, and are still just getting started. During the Covid-19 crisis, we have worked with over 30 states to help reduce incarceration levels and mitigate the spread of the virus. In the runup to the 2020 national elections and the ensuing legislative sessions, we are working to help produce high-quality analysis of a slate of criminal justice reform policies across the nation.
- Website: www.recidiviz.org
- Medium: https://medium.com/recidiviz
- Github: www.github.com/Recidiviz
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/recidivizorg
- Lack of Data: The Missing Link in Criminal Justice Reform
- New Technology Could be Key to Reducing North Dakota's Prison Population
- Emptying Prison Beds to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus
- Mozilla Announces Funding Awardees
(You can also read a bit more about our founder on Fast Company)
About the role
Our platform is rolling out to more criminal justice agencies around the country, our datasets are expanding to cover more people and more portions of the justice system, and our product suite is growing and diversifying rapidly. We need to grow our engineering organization to ensure we can meet the demand for our work and continue to improve our core technology. We’re hiring our next Software Engineer to bring our platform and products to where they are most needed. This person will need to have comfort working on features that span across multiple sub-systems, a willingness to dive into tough problems and diverse data, and a collaborative and kind nature to add to our culture.
Although Recidiviz is a non-profit working in criminal justice, we’re culturally a tech company - our executive director comes from a background in product management at Google, our CTO from engineering at Opower, and the rest of the team comes from a mix of Dropbox, Apple, Google, and Opower. If you've worked in other tech organizations, you’ll feel right at home.
- Expanding our data platform, empowering us to scale across the entire country, in all phases of the criminal justice system
- Working with our product, design, and data science teams to build new features from end-to-end, across our data platform, web apps, and reporting pipeline
- Collaborating with researchers and technical staff in partner justice agencies to understand their data systems and onboard them onto our platform
- Ensuring the long-term health of our engineering organization by maintaining high bars for security, compliance, privacy, documentation, testing, and ethics
- High empathy and kindness
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of practical experience building production software in a collaborative environment
- A desire to “wear many hats” and make contributions across our technical stack, in many areas of our organization
- Comfort working directly with deployed systems to ensure high uptime, secure configuration, and rapid development
- Experience in a cross-functional setting, capable of working closely with Product Management, Design, and Data Science
- Experience developing large-scale data processing systems, working closely with a data model representing some real-world domain
- Comfort working with external partners from diverse backgrounds and worldviews, including government staff, researchers, journalists, and other practitioners in criminal justice reform
- Familiarity with our technical stack would be a plus, including Python, Google Cloud Platform, Postgresql, BigQuery, Apache Beam
Lasting change is always built on diversity. Recidiviz is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. We consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know in your application.