Lead Full Stack Engineer
$90k - $150k • 0.50% - 10.00%
Backed by Y Combinator, Acadian Ventures, and Soma Capital, Arist is a text message learning platform helping Fortune 500 companies and large organizations — including DuPont, GE, and the State of California — create, deploy, and assess text message courses.
Our long-term vision is to deliver critical knowledge and training to anyone in the world, regardless of traditional learning barriers, one text message at a time.
What's a text message course?
A series of texts, images/GIFs, and interactive exercises/questions delivered over 5 to 30 days via SMS or WhatsApp. Backed by research from Stanford and Harvard, text message courses see ~10x the completion and satisfaction rates of other learning mediums.
In fact, we view text message courses as a brand-new content medium, with a variety of impactful use cases ranging from preventing misinformation to COVID-19 training in refugee camps to DEI training for startups.
Why text messages?
A majority of the world's population — including frontline employees, distributed teams, and remote audiences — has access to SMS and WhatsApp. Meanwhile, internet access is limited globally, making video courses inaccessible to over 3 billion people, including 30 million Americans.
As well, it can also take months to build a traditional workshop or video course, while text message courses can be built and deployed in a day — by one person — ensuring frictionless transfer of knowledge. Writers have to get to the point, so learners get the most valuable insights, concepts, and case studies.
The best part? 95% of people read a text within 3 minutes. As a result, we help create and deliver content employees love in a way that they will actually read and engage with. Don't take our word for it — try a text message course about text message courses here.
Arist is looking for a Lead Full Stack Engineer to help shape the way millions of people learn.
In addition to a love of learning, our ideal candidate has:
- 3+ years of experience working on a combination of backend and frontend systems
- Working within a cloud environment, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Strong communication skills for working with non-technical clients
- Experience with NodeJS / Express, HTML, CSS, JS
- Experience with AWS, specifically Cognito, S3, Cloudfront, Elastic Beanstalk, and Lambda
- Familiar with MongoDB
- Has used a frontend framework, such as Vue or React
- Basic CI/CD through GitLab
- Familiar with Twilio's API
- A person that thrives and succeeds in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast
As our Lead Full Stack Developer, you will own the technology behind the Arist course creation and deployment platform. You'll be working closely with the rest of our team to help us make course creation and delivery as seamless as possible, while helping optimize the Arist platform for scale as we serve more and more enterprise customers. In the long-term, you will also be instrumental in helping us eventually hire and build out our engineering team. Potential tasks include:
- Building new course development features into our platform while refining existing features
- Optimizing courses for deliverability, including integrating Arist with Slack and MS Teams
- Working with our enterprise clients on security reviews and LMS/HRIS system integrations
- Improving the end-user experience based on product feedback
- Long-term: interviewing and recruiting engineering hires
So now for the big question... what's it like to work at Arist?
Arist is a small, rapidly growing team — our ideal candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced and mission-driven environment that thrives on personal growth and strong communication. We believe that the best workplace is one where really smart people are given the support and tools to do their best work, and we make every hire expecting they'll one day lead a team of their own. We care deeply about having a sense of ownership over the product.
For these reasons, we look for employees that are:
- Deeply curious — learning and truth come first! Ask lots of questions, learn from collective expertise, and venture outside of tasks when applicable.
- Creative — we love crazy ideas. Every idea is treated with respect and taken seriously. Never be afraid to speak up, insert thoughts, and ask questions.
- Adaptable — as a startup, we have little formal structure. Be ready for anything that might come your way and excited to tackle new challenges.
- Accessible — communicate often and always be open to chatting with others. When hiring or promoting, we make sure our opportunities are as accessible as our courses.
- Self-motivated — we hire every employee with the mindset that one day you'll become a leader. Be motivated not only to fulfill your job tasks but provide direction or support for the company as a whole.
- Collaborative — what we lack in structure, we more than make up for in support. Ask and give help constantly. Every problem is a team problem, and we’re all in this together.
- Honest + respectful — small teams need to be blunt to move fast. Always speak your mind, and be respectful when others speak theirs.
Sound like a lot of fun? As an early-stage startup, we can promise a lot of opportunities for ownership, growth, and learning, while working with awesome people along the way 😊
Salary range: $90-150,000/year
Equity range: 0.5-10%
Arist is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Arist is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status.