Head of Marketing & Developer Experience
ReadMe helps companies like Intercom, Zenefits, Lyft, Box and thousands more provide interactive developer experiences to their customers. We love APIs, and want to make them dead simple to use.
ReadMe is hiring a Head of Marketing & Developer Experience to help us craft a tool that developers love! Our product takes complex technical topics and makes them friendly to use and we want the product messaging to evoke the same feeling. People already love using ReadMe, so you’ll have a strong brand to build on!
We're a small team of humans (and one owl) working together to do big things, and we’re growing! That’s where you come in. Since we’re a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge difference! You’ll have lots of opportunities and flexibility to make outsized improvements to ReadMe beyond your daily responsibilities.
🦉 What we do
ReadMe helps companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. We love what we do because it’s so much more than just docs. We’re providing tools for teams to create and manage beautiful documentation with ease. Last year, we raised a Series A led by Accel, which we’re pretty excited about!
✅ What you'll do here
- Talk to our users! We want to understand what our customers want, through feedback, metrics, and research.
- Figure out messaging. We’re trying to change the way people think about APIs and documentation, so we need ways to talk about new tools and concepts in a way that doesn’t feel foreign.
- Own the marketing homepage, and build out more pages for it as the product grows and evolves. You’ll get to work with our awesome designers on this.
- We always say our main key performance indicator is developer love, so part of this job will be defining measurable proxies for it.
- Help shape the product roadmap and strategy, and get customers excited about what we’re working on.
- We have two audiences—our direct customers, and the developers that use their platform. * We want to create heroes out of our customers, and surface to them the value ReadMe provides to developers on their behalf.
- Launch products, making sure the last mile is covered! We put a lot of love and care into what we build, and we want launches to live up to that.
💙 You'll love this job if you are...
- Able to understand how developers think, and enjoy the unique opportunity of marketing to technical audiences. Maybe you even have some programming experience!
- A strategic thinker who loves to delve into complex issues and turn them into thoughtful recommendations and plans of action.
- A storyteller. You can adapt your communication style to fit the audience you’re trying to reach, and your verbal and written communication skills are on point .
- An avid writer. We’d love to see some of your past work that you’re proud of!
🌱 How you'll grow within one month
- Run an audit of our current marketing and branding.
- Start talking to customers to get a feel for what they like.
- Work on defining how we talk about ReadMe publicly.
3️⃣ Within three months, you'll
- Start unifying our marketing and branding, and organize how we talk about our features publicly.
- Take products from that almost-done phase through successful launches.
- Work with the sales and support teams to make sure every interaction with the company has a similar feel.
6️⃣ Within six months, you'll
- Have a solid understanding of the market, and how ReadMe fits into it.
- Contribute to our product roadmap.
- Present what you’ve been working on at a board meeting.
- Continue to build on the foundation you’ve created with your own projects and ideas!
🛣 What's the hiring process like?
- We can’t wait to read your resume and (hopefully personality-filled) cover letter! Let us know what excites you about product marketing, and help us get to know you better!
- If we think we might be a good fit for you, we’ll set up a phone chat! We’ll tell you more about the role, and get a chance to hear about your experiences.
- Next will be a second phone interview, where we’ll dive a bit more into your background.
- Then we’ll invite you to an"onsite" interview conducted over Zoom! We start with a 30-minute get-to-know-you with some of the team so you can meet the people you’ll be working with, and then have you talk with people one on one in the afternoon.
- We’ll let you know how things went within a week! If it still seems like a good fit all around, we’ll extend you an offer! If not, we will update you to let you know so you aren’t left hanging.
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application. At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
This role will start out remotely due to COVID-19. We want to make sure all our employees feel safe in their work environments! Eventually, this role will be on-site at our San Francisco office. You must be eligible to work in the United States and either be SF-based or willing to move to San Francisco when the office reopens. A relocation package will be provided. We don't work with recruiters.