Mason is elastic mobile infrastructure -- like AWS but for hardware-oriented services. Our mission is to help anyone turn ideas into smart products. We're the only all-in-one solution that gives companies turn-key control over the entire mobile stack, including the hardware, operating system, and management of devices.
Skills: Android, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Mason is transforming mobile deployments the same way AWS transformed website development, making it easy for anyone to turn an idea into a smart product and ship it to anywhere in the world. Our mission is to create a beautifully efficient world connected by billions of devices to work on behalf of humanity.
Come build an infrastructure company from scratch!
We're looking for the right person to join our close-knit team and help take our foundational product and business to the next level. Mason's core product is mobile infrastructure as a service ("mobile IaaS") — think elastic, customizable hardware + software + services.
This role is for an Engineering Manager to own and evolve the team that delivers the critical infrastructure powering the Mason platform. You will be instrumental in helping transform Mason’s backend to be enterprise-ready. This is a hands-on management role where you bring your technical, leadership, and people management skills to bear in delivering quality work from a growing, close-knit team.
Mason is looking for a complex combination of grit, smarts, ingenuity, and diverse perspectives (and more!) Check out our values and see if they resonate!
What you’ll work on:
- Hire and grow your team to deliver on the critical, expanding enterprise-oriented road map for our Mobile IaaS platform
- Mentor, develop and grow your engineers through regular 1:1s, career conversations, and stretch goals
- Help develop and implement engineering best practices and rigor
- Interact regularly with product managers, account managers, and technical sales to ensure customer requests, feature work, and bugs are appropriately prioritized
- Define and track your team’s performance metrics and present regularly to leadership
- Work with People Ops to implement performance reviews at company-specified cadence
- Stay on top of the engineering road map, and help set priorities for the team in conjunction with product owners
- Nurture a culture of "Always Be Shipping"
What you bring to the table:
- Experience leading, mentoring, growing, and nurturing engineers on a team
- A solid, technical background shipping cloud services
- Hands-on experience with distributed systems and scaling services for use by enterprise customers
- Experience going through several successful release cycles delivering software
- Lots of war stories!
- Experience handling promotions, hiring, exits, conflicts, and everything in between with gusto
- 3+ years in engineering management
Bonus points for:
- Experience delivering software on AWS with Kubernetes
- Experience building engineering roadmaps and vision for teams
- Experience in startups
- Healthcare: Full healthcare benefits for Mason employees with competitive vision, dental, and medical insurance
- Transportation: Monthly reimbursement for your commuter needs to get to and from work
- Fitness & wellness: Monthly reimbursement for fitness classes or gym memberships (and currently, anything that makes you feel sane during our COVID crisis. i.e. gardening tools, donations to your favorite charities, books, you name it)
- Generous PTO & sick leave: We want you to take care of yourself with a minimum of 24 PTO days, including paid company holidays
- Parental leave: Caring for a newborn is an exciting time for parents! We offer four months of paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office: Mason pups are welcome in the office 3x per week (though most teams work remotely at present)
- And more!
Android, AOSP hacking, Node.js services on AWS, React frontend, Python CLI;, Docker