Senior Security Engineer
$130k - $160k •
Recidiviz is a non-profit technology company based in San Francisco, CA. We build common, open source technical infrastructure to help the criminal justice system end mass incarceration and focus on ongoing iteration towards better outcomes.
Criminal justice data today is inefficient and ineffective: researchers, advocates, policymakers and practitioners each need funding and time for data collection and cleaning (for almost any data at all), and most data collected is too stale by the time it’s compiled to be useful.
Recidiviz has built an open-source platform to ingest data from across data silos, link it, standardize it, and expose it in usable formats to the ecosystem. We’re building some of our own interventions on top of this platform and working with other non-profits to use it to power research at scale, inform agency decision-making, motivate policy changes, and monitor their impact.
Skills: Software Security
Recidiviz is a non-profit technology company based in San Francisco, CA. We build common, open source technical infrastructure to help the criminal justice system end mass incarceration and focus on ongoing iteration towards better outcomes (both for the public and the individuals in the system).
Criminal justice data today is inefficient and ineffective: researchers, advocates, policymakers and practitioners each need funding and time for data collection and cleaning, and most data collected is too stale by the time it’s compiled to be actionable.
Recidiviz has built an open-source platform to ingest data from across data silos, link it, standardize it, and expose it in usable formats to the ecosystem. We’re building some of our own interventions on top of this platform and working with other NGOs to use it to power research at scale, inform agency decision-making, motivate policy changes, and monitor their impact.
Recidiviz was an all-volunteer effort until early-2019. Since February 2019, we’ve built an A-team that brings together technical and criminal justice expertise, participated in YCombinator’s Summer 2019 class, onboarded several states, and are still just getting started. During the Covid-19 crisis, we have worked with over 30 states to help reduce incarceration levels and mitigate the spread of the virus. Throughout the early 2021 legislative sessions, we have also been working to help produce high-quality analysis of a slate of criminal justice reform policies across the nation. Throughout it all, we have worked with states to provide products and analyses that reduce the incarcerated and supervised populations, and that number of states is growing.
- Website: www.recidiviz.org
- Medium: https://medium.com/recidiviz
- Github: www.github.com/Recidiviz
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/recidivizorg
- Lack of Data: The Missing Link in Criminal Justice Reform
- New Technology Could be Key to Reducing North Dakota's Prison Population
- Emptying Prison Beds to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus
- Mozilla Announces Funding Awardees
About the role
Our platform is rolling out to more criminal justice agencies around the country, our datasets are expanding to cover more people and more portions of the justice system, and our product suite is growing and diversifying. The need to protect our infrastructure and our sensitive data is more important than ever before. We’re hiring a Senior Security Engineer to improve the security of our technology and organization, and to ensure the privacy of the datasets we are composing. This person will need to be comfortable working directly with cloud-deployed production infrastructure, establishing secure practices across both technical and social systems, and leading major initiatives for a fast-moving team. Above all else, they need to have a collaborative and kind nature to add to our culture.
Although Recidiviz is a non-profit working in criminal justice, we’re culturally a tech company - our executive director comes from a background in product management at Google, our CTO from engineering at Opower, and the rest of the team comes from organizations such as Dropbox, Apple, Google, and Opower. If you've worked in other tech organizations, you’ll feel right at home.
- Ensuring that we maintain world-class security and privacy standards for the datasets collected and provided by our platform
- Ensuring that our data platform and products employ best-in-class security practices, and that our Engineering organization maintains these through our development lifecycle
- Leading security and compliance efforts across the Engineering organization, with support from our CTO and Engineering team
- Owning the vulnerability assessment process, and working closely with the CTO on performing and improving further security processes
- Communicating with external stakeholders about Recidiviz security and compliance practices
- Reviewing the security risk for new products and features, making recommendations to the Engineering and Product teams
- Improving and shaping organizational processes to ensure secure and compliant practices across all teams
- High empathy and kindness
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of practical experience as a Security Engineer in a collaborative environment
- The ability to work with at least one popular programming language (e.g. Python) to automate tasks and contribute to the infrastructure underlying our data platform
- A desire to “wear many hats” and make contributions across several areas, working closely with all members of our organization
- Comfort working directly with deployed systems to ensure high uptime, secure configuration, and rapid development
- Experience meeting major industry compliance requirements and leading audits
- Experience with assessing and improving the privacy of datasets with varying shapes and content
- Familiarity with our technical stack, including Google Cloud Platform, Postgresql, BigQuery, Apache Beam, Firebase, and Python
- Comfort working and speaking with external partners from diverse backgrounds and worldviews, including government staff, researchers, journalists, and other practitioners in criminal justice reform
Lasting change is always built on diversity. Recidiviz is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. We consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know in your application.