Frontend Software Developer
$90k - $120k • 0.00% - 1.00%
- Modern teams often need to spin up fully-provisioned VMs running a copy of their database and backend for every branch.
- For example, it's super useful to be able to run E2E tests or manual QA against the full stack with a pre-seeded database that has some initial data in it.
- We provide an OS-level cache automatically so that the repetitive steps (download libraries, start backend microservices, load database dumps) can be reused across runs in seconds instead of minutes.
- An equivalent solution using a production hosting provider like AWS is significantly slower and much more difficult to set up.
LayerCI supercharges code reviews by spinning up full-stack preview environments in seconds
You must be authorized to work in Canada. Please mention your visa status when you apply.
We're excited to bring on a frontend software developer that would like to work with a modern React/Material UI code base.
Layer (LayerCI.com) is a Y-Combinator backed company that merges the power of a staging server with the convenience of a hosted CI platform. We help developers share their work with reviewers, product folks, and designers to iterate faster.
We're looking for someone that is experienced in frontend development, but has at least a basic understanding of CI systems. This role is primarily to polish the product and make it easier for new users to get started without having to talk to us.
Example tasks might include:
- Update flows in dashboards to allow users to more easily onboard themselves
- Take designs and implement them into mobile responsive landing pages and dashboards
- Copy/paste and adapt existing backend code to create new APIs to be consumed by the frontend
- Talk to users directly to iterate on existing flows and make them more user friendly
It would also be great if you could:
- Create landing pages which compare LayerCI with our competitors in an intuitive page (e.g., researching and creating pages like https://about.gitlab.com/pricing/gitlab-com/feature-comparison/)
- Write blog posts explaining how ephemeral environments can be used for frontend development
- Work closely with co-founding team on impactful technical challenges
- Competitive compensation (Salary + equity)
- Amazing co-workers and a culture of mentorship, share things you've learned with your co-workers and vice-versa.
- Flexible hours - we just care that you get your work done, not what hours you're around for.
- Work from anywhere in Canada, even after COVID is over
- Apply via Work At a Startup or email a resume to [email protected]
- Please mention your Canadian work permit status, and confirm when you'll reside here
- We'll book an informal 20 minute call to meet each-other, and then a 45 minute technical interview to make sure applicants are well suited to the role
- You don't have to be an expert at frontend development, but we'd like you to iterate, and improve the end result until it's something
The technical interview
Consists of a 45 minute peer programming call where you'll take a technical specification and build a (frontend only) webapp. Rubric is based on design thinking, edge cases, and code style. You can use any framework you'd like, but we recommend React/AngularJS/Svelte with something like Bootstrap or Material UI, so have a starter project ready in the editor of your choice. "create-react-app" with "react bootstrap" is a good default.
- Stack is go backend / react frontend
- Microservice architecture, kubernetes
- We've built our own distributed hypervisor, which is the core magic for "turning staging servers into lambdas"
- Websockets / protobuf / REST