$120k - $150k •
Enveritas enables coffee companies to make truthful, independently-verified sustainability claims about any coffee they purchase for a flat, annual fee. We do this by analyzing satellite imagery to predict where coffee is growing and then sending local teams to speak to farmers and gather ground truth data on sustainability practices. Coffee companies pay for the analysis and insights, and use them to encourage more sustainable farming practices. We are a nonprofit, but have received seed funding and already have recurring revenues from leading coffee companies. We have employees living in New York and the Bay Area, as well as 14 other countries, and are expanding to 20+ in the next year.
Do you want to work for a mission-driven non-profit, building systems and writing software that will contribute to helping millions of coffee farmers out of poverty? Do you want to work on a small, nimble team using a modern tech stack and forward-looking technologies? Enveritas is a 501(c)3 non-profit and Y Combinator-backed startup looking to hire an experienced frontend engineer. You can learn more about our engineering and data teams at: https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/engineering/
About Our Engineering Team
Our engineering team designs and builds the tools that our country teams use to collect data about coffee and cocoa farmers. Our core work is building and maintaining our surveying system, which tracks the sustainability standards, survey questionnaires, and data collection that enable Enveritas’ mission. We also have interesting problems in machine learning systems for analyzing satellite imagery for crops, mobile applications for field-use, and data analytics tools for our managers and clients.
We’re a small, collegial team of engineers and data scientists looking to add a talented and experienced frontend engineer to our team. We use React in a forward-looking way (v16.x, heavy usage of hooks and newest features) and Flow, and our API system runs GraphQL. We have a robust CI/CD setup for automated tests and deploys, and developers are free to choose their OS and laptops of choice.
What You’ll Be Doing
Our current task is to build a survey authoring and data collection platform. You’ll be responsible for working closely with other engineers to create new features in our Jebena survey authoring system. In addition to our Jebena system, our team also manages several small codebases for internal tools. You should be skilled at taking rough product specs and UI sketches and building responsive UIs; most of our work does not include design mockups.
Who You Are
We’re looking for a frontend software engineer with 5+ years experience of working on software teams to join our core engineering team (~5 people) on a full-time basis. You should have experience architecting and building out large new features. You should be comfortable working in tandem with other engineers (frontend and backend) as well as operations and product to create the API calls for communicating with a backend system (ours happen to be written in Python / PostgreSQL).
Our work is often ambiguous, so you should have a love for environments with uncertainty and late-breaking changes. Most of our software is internally-facing, so our product specs are often rough. You should have a deep empathy for users of software and understand the importance of supporting the work of other teams.
While most of our team is near the New York City area, we’re open to remote engineers based anywhere in the United States. This role is a full-time individual contributor role. We care deeply about diversity and welcome all applicants -- our work is complex and nuanced, so the more diversity we have in the voices working on our problems, the larger of an impact our work can have for the world.
- 5+ years experience writing software in teams.
- Confidence styling with CSS, including the ability to implement faithfully-styled components from a visual specification.
- A history of working on small, nimble teams that run with best practices (GitHub, Pull Requests, code reviews, etc) and basic comfort with the command line (terminal/bash) for running development setups.
- Enjoys building occasional special “quick-win” projects that delight teams at our company and captivate external stakeholders.
- An excitement for our mission of improving the lives of smallholder farmers and an interest in sustainability.
About Working With Us
- Our Engineering and Data Teams are a diverse, quirky, and humble group of about a dozen. See https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/engineering/ for more info about each of us.
- Enveritas has teams around the world -- we’re about 65 people spread between a dozen countries, of all backgrounds, faiths, and identities.
- Flexible work hours and generous vacation -- 4 weeks vacation in addition to 12 standard holidays and personal/sick time.
- Full benefits, including 401k with matching contributions, Medical/Dental/Vision, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and Transportation benefit plan.
- Annual education budget for conferences, books, and other professional development opportunities.
- Field visits to our Country Ops teams in coffee-growing countries such as Costa Rica, Ethiopia, and Indonesia. Note that due to COVID-19, travel is currently on pause.