Manufacturing Excellence Manager
We have a beautiful, sunny office in Venice, California. We are dog-friendly. We offer above market salary and top tier health benefits (medical, dental vision), and cover 90% for employees and 85% for dependents.
Our Shared Values:
- Choose Love Over Fear: You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, or opportunities rather than out of fear.
- Optimize For Trust: You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
- Have a Growth Mindset: You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact everyday
- Be You: You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview)
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative and sustainable period products. Our mission is to create industry-defining products and services that set a new global standard for period health. Four years ago we launched the most innovative period product since the tampon: the menstrual disc. It had been nearly 80 years since the tampon was introduced, and our new product was quickly embraced by consumers everywhere. Flex started as a digitally native brand with one product, and quickly grew to a family of period products sold online and in top national retailers such as Target, CVS, and Walgreens.
The Flex Disc™and Flex Cup™ generate 60% less waste than tampons and pads and can be worn for up to 12 hours, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
As our Manufacturing Excellence Manager, you will be the primary technical resource for the company responsible for understanding the mechanics of how our lines work, their shortcomings, and potential improvements. You'll interface regularly with our product development, brand, and innovation teams to figure how to execute their vision in a scalable and cost efficient manner. You will own quality investigations and developing corrective actions, and have a strong link with our regulatory team. You will also be responsible for project managing several large CAPEX projects across different factories.
- Manage multi million dollar CAPEX investments across our factories.
- Review factory performance and quality data and develop countermeasures.
- Regularly travel to our factories to understand how the process could change and what is feasible.
- Develop tolerances and manufacturing specs (not design specs).
- You are an engineer who is at home in a manufacturing environment.
- You over index on direct experience working with line workers and on and with machines vs designers, and corporate engineers.
- You understand how things are made and how they could be made and are able to challenge assumptions at the factory.
- You're able to establish strong working relationships with factories across North America.
- Process Engineer or Sustaining Engineer background in a manufacturing environment.
- Project management experience.
- Autonomous worker.
- Ability to effectively communicate between engineers and non-engineers.
- Experience with Kanban, TPM, or other quality system methodology.
- Familiarity with standard factory metrics (OEE, Attainment, etc).
- Must have a valid passport and be willing to travel (limited today due to Covid)
In 1 month you will:
- Review technical drawings and BOM.
- Take over CAPEX project management.
- Come up to speed on Flex Regulatory.
- Review previous quality complaints & throughput data
In 2 months you will:
- Visit several factories.
- Take over quality investigations.
- Develop factory performance metrics and integrated reporting
In 3 months you will:
- Prepare internal documentation on manufacturing capabilities that could be leveraged for future use.
- Implement factory performance metrics & reporting.
- Lead factory loss tree reporting and improvement work streams
Our shared values:
Choose Love Over Fear: You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, or opportunities rather than out of fear.
Optimize For Trust: You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
Have a Growth Mindset: You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact everyday.
Be You: You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview!).
About The Flex Company
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative, sustainable, life-changing period products. After years of disappointment and discomfort trying dozens of products, Lauren Schulte Wang founded Flex to create body-safe, medical grade alternatives that outperform traditional period products. The Flex Disc and Flex Cup generate 60% less waste and have the capacity of up to three super tampons, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
Flex is sold at over 25,000 stores across the US and is the #1 alternative period product brand based on units sold. Committed to making its life-changing products accessible to as many people possible, Flex is available at Target, CVS, and Walgreens, and at flexfits.com.
The Flex Company is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be themselves.