Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Burrow makes furniture fit for modern life. In April 2017, Burrow launched their first product: a fully customizable sofa that’s easy-to-move and built-to-last. Their sofas are hand crafted in North Carolina with non-toxic, stain- and-scratch resistant fabrics and a hardwood frame made from ethically-forested trees. And because of their modular, adaptable design, all Burrow sofas ship for free in just a week. How revolutionary is this? Fast Company named Burrow one of the 10 most innovative retail companies in the world. Burrow started with the couch and will quickly expand into the entire home, maximizing convenience, quality, and comfort with every piece of uncompromising furniture they design.
Burrow is seeking an experienced engineer to be a key member in evolving our data infrastructure technology. The ideal candidate is motivated to help continue automating and scaling our infrastructure with a strong desire to implement change, growth and maturity. You will focus on making accessing our date infrastructure more user-friendly, reliable and efficient.
As a key member of a small engineering team, you will interact with individuals in departments across the business, identifying opportunities to better use data to make decisions. You will be a key decision maker in choosing technology that will expand our ability to collect data and gather insights. Burrow’s data infrastructure is built on Airflow, BigQuery, Metabase and more.
This person will have opportunities to experiment with and implement new technologies. Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, willing to try new things, and constantly push the envelope. Most importantly, this person is passionate about innovating through technology to build better experiences for Burrow customers and is constantly in pursuit of how they can improve the status-quo.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Ensuring data flow and integrity between systems. You will champion the flow of data across all our systems from end-to-end ensuring consistency across the chain while building in redundancies and alerts on errors.
- Focus on eCommerce Operations - ensuring order flows, consistent product information, shipment information and accurate inventory availability across channels.
- Collaborating across teams to develop internal automation tools.
- Performance tuning with a focus on high availability and scalability.
- Maintaining secure and scalable systems.
- Designing and developing automation to support continuous integration and continuous delivery processes
- Interfaces with different teams to make data available for reporting and analytics.
- Operational and security monitoring.
- Expert in Python; Node.js experience is a plus.
- Full-stack database knowledge (strong SQL skills, query optimization, performance optimization, database life-cycle management, etc.)
- Expert in object-oriented and functional programming.
- Committed to quality code, testing and continuously improving the codebase.
- Understands security best practices, has ability to design secure, reliable systems.
- Experienced with Google Cloud Platform (particularly BigQuery, Compute Engine, Kubernetes Engine, Composer, - Cloud Run and Cloud Build) in a production environment.
- Experienced in application lifecycle/release management and agile methodology.
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical, and interpersonal skills. Able to work closely with individuals across departments in the company.
- Embodies our company values: customer experience, collaboration, and innovation.
- 3 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or related field) or equivalent real world experience.
- Experienced with Linux administration, shell scripting and provisioning.
- Experienced with Airflow in a production environment.
- Experience with Google BigQuery.
- Experience with cloud based e-commerce, inventory and fulfillment architecture a plus.
- Experienced in creating audit reports for systems and data integrity.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (particularly VPC, EC2, S3, Elasticache, Code Build and CloudFormation) a plus. AWS or GCP Certifications are a plus.