Staff Software Engineer
Submittable is platform for launching, managing and measuring organizations' social impact.
More than degrees or particular skill sets, we're looking for obsessive, self-motivated people who have done one or two things in their lives that most people would consider exceptional or very interesting. As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire team members who are representative of different and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.
Skills: C#, React, .NET Core, Serverless, PostgreSQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), GraphQL, Node.js, Microservices
Submittable is seeking a Staff Software Engineer to join our dynamic, growth-driven team in Missoula, Montana. This position is open to remote candidates and is an incredible opportunity for someone looking to take on a large technical leadership role in a rapidly growing company.
This person will be responsible for the evolution of our existing software and systems, both strategically and tactically. This is both a code writing and architecture role. The expectation for whoever fills this position is to understand our existing software and systems architecture, propose and own a roadmap for near-term improvements and a long-term vision, and then drive this road map.
The position is a full-time individual contributor role and reports to the VP of Engineering.
What You'll Do:
- Jump into our software and infrastructure, quickly becoming an expert on where we are today
- Identify near term improvements to our existing system. The improvements might include enhancements to our developer experience, our infrastructure architecture, and our core software, to support near-term growth and stability.
- You’ll create and own our software and infrastructure technical roadmaps, including the burn down of tech debt
- You’ll work closely with a wonderful team of software engineers, test engineers, product managers, and product designers
- You’ll drive productive engineering discussions, generating excitement and buy-in
- You’ll write code, lots of code
What You Need to Know:
- Legacy and modern Web Application design paradigms and at least one stack, top to bottom. Our legacy stack is ASP.NET MVC, C#, and SQL Server. We’re migrating to a serverless infrastructure using .NET Core, Lambda, and Postgres. On the front-end, you'll find React and Redux.
- Software Engineering - we’re looking for an expert, someone who can and will learn what they need, from .NET to routing in Redux and who has at least 7 years of experience writing code for similar systems.
- Modern cloud native infrastructure and design principles, specifically in the context of AWS
- Database design - we’re looking for someone with expertise in optimizing data centric systems. Ideally, experience would include using ORMs and migrating a system from direct-to-DB queries to thoughtful abstraction.
- Scale - we utilize a complex ETL pipeline, SQS queues, Elasticsearch, and more for various large scale problems such as reporting and analytics.
- How to work well with other experienced software engineers and mentor less experienced software engineers
- How to write well, and a preference for writing things down. There are several key deliverables for this role: software and infrastructure roadmaps, written technical designs, clearly written tickets, code reviews, and more.
What will success look like for this role?
- Tangible and measurable near term improvements to our software and infrastructure. Metrics might include page load time, query time, API latency, number of simultaneous users, time to on-board new engineers, etc.
- A clear path forward for our software and infrastructure with support from the existing team and shared excitement captured in a living roadmap document
- In the medium and long term, success will look like a world-class and cutting edge technology platform that enables organizations worldwide to collect and review any type of content with ease
About Submittable: Based in Missoula, Montana, Submittable’s office is 1 block from surfing and kayaking, 7 miles from skiing, and 5 miles from wilderness hiking. If you’re not into sports or the outdoors, many of us have other interests, too—our team includes professional musicians, accomplished artists, published writers (even poets!), and former chefs. Our average "commute" time is 10 minutes, with many staff biking or walking to our office in downtown Missoula. Housing costs ¼ to ⅓ that of NYC and SF (10% of Submittable employees are first-time home buyers). The average TSA wait time at Missoula International Airport is 2-3 minutes.
We offer highly competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Health insurance, 401K, life insurance, and optional HSA, FSA, DCA, and Commuter Benefits accounts
- Flexible hours, including flexible vacations and sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave policy for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents, and an employee-paid on-site daycare center for infants and toddlers up to age 2
- Discounted fitness memberships, personal development stipends, and book purchase reimbursement
- Involvement in community outreach programs for all employees, including company volunteer outings at local nonprofits
- Fully-stocked kitchens with complimentary snacks and beverages for all employees
- Gender-neutral bathrooms with free pads/tampons
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are unable to accommodate scholastic or employment visas.
As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire and support employees who are representative of varied and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.
React, C#, AWS