Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. With new workflows, efficient collaboration, and all their communication channels in one place, more than 5,000 businesses rely on their Front inbox to be more productive as a team.
Founded in 2013, Front has raised $138 million from Sequoia, DFJ, and others to unlock new ways to work that make people more efficient, fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work. Front is headquartered in San Francisco with an office in Paris and Phoenix. To learn more, visit frontapp.com.
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t made for business and hasn’t evolved to help you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on many siloed apps that make you less productive as a whole.
With more than 5,000 customers and $79 million in funding from Sequoia, Threshold (formerly DFJ), and others, Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
Through building tools and products for other engineers, our infrastructure team acts as a team multiplier - think auto-scaling, horizontal sharding, scalable storage systems, application performance monitoring, and more. We are in the early phases of building out our next generation cells architecture that will support a scale orders of magnitude what we can today. Curious? Talk to us, we’d love to tell you more.
What will you be doing?
- Design and implement a new Kubernetes staging environment that engineers can spin up in under a minute
- Build tools to scale developer workflows for a >50 person engineering team, for example, schema migration automation tool to run online MySQL migrations across a large number of production database shards
- Building blocks of our next generation cells architecture, a precursor to an on-premise solution
- Troubleshoot and resolve low-level bugs and issues, e.g. memcached throughput exceeding AWS caps, network partitions in our AWS VPC
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset – we’re a product company on a mission to “advance how people work”
- 5+ years of industry experience building highly available, large-scale distributed systems at a large-scale internet service
- 2+ years of working on software systems built atop Amazon Web Services
- Strong track record of launching and delivering projects of significant complexity and high level of ambiguity
- Experience architecting, deploying and operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems, high-throughput systems: you should not be afraid of writing code that will decide to start or stop 1000 servers
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Full professional English proficiency
- Experience as a tech-lead of an infrastructure team
- Experience scaling data stores such as MySQL and Elasticsearch
- Advanced Linux systems engineering skills
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
TO APPLY TO THIS JOB POSTING, PLEASE APPLY THROUGH OUR JOBS PAGE AS WE WILL NOT BE MANAGING APPLICATIONS THROUGH BOOKFACE: https://jobs.lever.co/frontapp/ddb5dd6c-e7f2-4a27-a6e8-cb701cc799b5?lever-origin=applied&lever-source%5B%5D=Y%20Combinator