Lead Product Designer
$80k - $130k • 0.00% - 0.00%
SINAI is a San Francisco based technology company focused on transforming the way companies measure, price and analyze carbon emissions globally. We are providing the knowledge to unlock future capital growth as well as climate risk mitigation, carbon emissions disclosure, and operations efficiency.
Our first product to market is a Corporate Carbon Pricing Software. An end-to-end cloud platform that helps carbon-intensive companies to build their climate strategy, price carbon emissions and find the most cost-effective way to achieve emissions reductions targets.
Skills: Data Analytics, SASS
Our mission is to engage companies to include carbon analysis in their entire operations. We do not simply talk about climate change. We actually change the climate.
You will be the first member of our design team and lead the design effort to create a new market category of enterprise software to reverse climate change. Your designs will help companies measure their carbon footprint, determine the cost to reduce their carbon emissions, and take action to reduce (not offset), their footprint. At first, you will help build, iterate, and fix all the design problems of a new platform. Over time you will rethink original interactions and design new ones. We are a small and nimble team — akin to a family. You will work closely with product, engineering, and customer success. You will help save the environment so future generations can enjoy it.
YOUR “MUST HAVE” BACKGROUND
You have spent 4+ years in a hands-on technical design role and loved almost every minute of it. You know Figma well enough to teach classes on reusable components, constraints, auto-layouts, styles, and data sync. You easily imagine how every component and layout is responsive. You naturally see the grid system behind the design and can explain it to the dev team. You pride yourself on being a fast and open-minded learner.
YOUR “NICE TO HAVE” BACKGROUND
You have been known to start debates about how to use colors in analytical systems. You have hands-on experience designing software that makes data entry easy, fast, and fun. You have designed micro-animations for data visualizations and charts. You have lessons learned from designing software with heavy data visualization components.
YOU MAY ENJOY THIS ROLE IF YOU
- Are a missionary at heart and deeply care about our environment
- Get excited about designing super complex products (we are global, cover multiple industries, and our clients have many user types)
- Delight in using a variety of tools (moodboards, user flows, prototypes, mocks, etc.)
- Feel refreshed by working on a small team with minimal bureaucracy
YOU MAY NOT ENJOY THIS ROLE IF YOU
- Are tired of being hands-on 95% of the time
- Prefer the big design team and endless resources of a big company
- Have become less open-minded to ideas and feedback on design
- Are uncomfortable explaining the reasoning behind your design choice and having a spirited debate to create the best user-first solution
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU WILL
- Befriend all the wonderful people on our team
- Prototype, prototype, prototype and create some high fidelity screens
- Design mocks within the existing language that go to dev
- Solve technical design problems related to layouts, missing states, and inconsistencies
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Learn the terminology, jargon, and the story behind how the analytical modules work to understand the business, not just UI components
- Design even more mocks that go to dev with minimal oversight
- Suggest performance improvements to product and engineering
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Design dashboards, analytics, animations, and workflows to collect and visualize data
- Model user behavior, personas, and environments based on real data with empathy maps and storyboards
- Build our libraries and documentation for others when we grow the design team
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Take a big feature (that is still a little fuzzy), understand the business needs, and design it into the UI with little guidance or supervision
- Make platform-wide suggestions to improve performance and user engagement
- Lead UX research to uncover insights for making the product more intuitive
- Co-author our plan to grow the design team
ABOUT SINAI TECHNOLOGIES
Help us take the world to zero carbon emissions. We are SINAI (YCombinator W20), a San Francisco based technology company focused on transforming the way companies price, analyze and reduce carbon emissions around the world. We are passionate about technology and the environment. Following YC, we have a fresh round of funding, a few paid pilot customers, and are marching towards our Series A milestone. Watch a video our CEO and co-founder explain how SINAI translates science into economics.
- Collaboration is key to any successful team. We love learning about other topics and understand the touching points between two distinct worlds. In the end, we’re all connected and collaborating together anyway, so let’s just be active about it!
- Take initiative and be proactive in doing things, even if they don’t relate directly to your work. Don’t assume that someone else is going to do it. Take pride in wearing many hats possible.
- Take ownership - this is YOUR product and YOU company too, not just something you’re working on.
- Transparency and curiosity. There are no stupid questions or suggestions, and we can’t guess what’s going on in your head if you don’t speak up. It’s ok to NOT know, it’s NOT ok to NOT look for answers or NOT say when something bothers you. Be curious, go after solutions, and let everybody know!
- Be kind, always.
HOW TO APPLY
Via this link: https://apply.workable.com/j/D3C38E7DEF