Gordian Software builds APIs for travel websites to sell airline add-ons such as seat selection and baggage. It serves more than 10 million passengers per month and grew 925% in the first half of 2021. Two of the three largest travel websites in the world now use Gordian’s platform. Founded in 2017, it is backed by Y Combinator and other leading investors.
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA or Remote
JOB TYPE: Full-time
EXPERIENCE: 1+ years
Gordian Software builds APIs for travel websites to sell airline add-ons like seat selection and baggage. We serve millions of customers per month through our partnerships with Priceline, Hopper, Kiwi, Trip.com and other travel companies. We’re backed by Y Combinator and growing quickly (+925% growth in the past 6 months and profitable).
Our goal is to build the new operating system for the airline industry, starting with add-ons because they are the key profit center for airlines.
This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to change the status quo in this industry.
Come join us.
Backend engineers build the platform that drives millions of dollars in monthly revenue for Gordian’s airline and travel website partners. You’ll need to understand how to build stable, scalable systems, while handling intense growth at the same time. You’ll be working in an extremely complex business domain and shipping features that have a tangible impact on hundreds of thousands of travellers.
From day 1, you’ll be given top priority business problems and be working directly with the founding team to solve them. We’ll expect you to build deep knowledge of our customers and product so that you create the right technical solutions.
You’ll join our 3 day sprint, The Plan. Learn more about it here and here.
Some example backend projects from the last 12 months:
- Design and build an airline API integration framework (went from 1 to 20 API integrations in parallel)
- Hot replace the primary DB key in production with no downtime (ran out of integers due to growth)
- Create a settlement engine for millions of transactions and tens of millions of dollars of airline product bookings
- Design, build and launch an API to standardize searching and purchasing any airline product
Freedom: High autonomy, high responsibility
Impact: Do the most important thing, all the time
Ownership: No pointing fingers, find a way to win
- 2-8 years of software engineering experience
- Ability to clearly articulate business value of your work
- Ability to grasp complex business domains
- Comfortable in a fast paced environment
- Highly motivated by the impact of your work
- Create solutions based on the situation, not dogma
- Proactive and comfortable with ambiguity
- Proficiency in any modern tech stack and ability to ramp up on Heroku/Python/Postgres stack quickly
Gordian Software is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender identity and/or expression, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.
We use Python/Postgres/React.
Some interesting problems we're solving:
- Tracking complex financial flows between travel companies and airlines for millions of dollars
- Integrating 15-30 APIs in parallel using automated testing, good software design and processes
- Anomaly detection across airline/travel website pairs. Many times we tell airlines they are down before they know
- Data modeling to provide a simple, clean API format across 90 airlines' different product sets.