Senior Backend Engineer
Skills: Python, Ruby, PostgreSQL
At Standard Cognition, we’re rethinking the way retail works. We are enabling autonomous checkout for brick & mortar retailers with our AI-powered computer vision platform. Since launching in November 2017, Standard has contracts with multiple global retailers and is in the process of deploying our Standard Checkout solution across thousands of stores globally. We announced our Series A in November 2018 and we’re backed by some of Silicon Valley’s leading investors including CRV, Initialized, Draper Associates and YCombinator. Standard has raised its Series B and is valued at $535 million.
Our backend engineering team builds the cloud-hosted services that provide the backbone of our product. The core services we build provide data and APIs to run all our retailer and consumer facing applications - every consumer visit to a store using Standard Cognition technology flows through this service platform. The Senior Backend Engineer will work closely with application and data engineers to ensure that the APIs present interfaces and data appropriate to our evolving product requirements, as well as with our SRE team to ensure we can deploy scalable, reliable, and resilient systems to our global customer base.
What you'll do here: -Design and implement services and APIs supporting internal and external systems
- Be a part of ensuring our code is scalable, maintainable, and reliable.
- Build out solutions for monitoring, tracing, and debugging our services in production environments
- Iterate quickly on experimental systems to solve real user problems
- Work closely with other teams to make sure we’re building the right things
- Find and fix performance bottlenecks in our services
Who you are:
- You have 7+ years of experience.
- You have extensive experience in Python (or a similar language) for writing services and REST APIs.
- You have built systems using a range of data stores - SQL, noSQL, in-memory, etc, and can evaluate the tradeoffs between them effectively.
- You like solving complex problems efficiently - sometimes by writing code, but also by knowing when not to write code.
- You care a lot about delivering quality systems through automated testing and monitoring.
- You like to mentor other developers through code review, design discussions, and more.
Only meet some of these traits or experiences? We'd still love to hear from you!
Why you might want to work with us:
- We take care of you and your family with health, vision, and dental insurance.
- We're serious about food. Free catered lunch every day, and a fully stocked kitchen with occasional snack appearances from our Japanese office. Healthy and not-so-healthy options are available, as are foods for those with dietary restrictions.
- You're excited to work on a product that will impact almost any consumer, almost anywhere.
- We dress casually. If you want, you can wear slippers in the office. You should see the creative collection our team has built.
- We believe in a culture of learning, and want to keep building our skills, experiences, and capabilities.
- We offer flexible work schedules. We trust our team to know how they will do their best work.
- We're family friendly. We want our teammates to focus on what they need to when they need to.
- We offer very competitive compensation, including equity in Standard, to each one of our employees.
Standard provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and abilities.