Senior Software Engineer - Full Stack
$100k - $130k • 0.80% - 3.00%
At Jupiter, we’re on an (ambitious) mission to eliminate personal food waste by putting groceries on autopilot. We’re based in San Francisco and backed by Khosla Ventures, NFX, and Y Combinator (S19 batch).
Our goal is to make the experience of buying groceries as seamless as paying for running water. By keeping track of our customers’ consumption habits and product preferences, we aim to play a role in reducing the 8 million tons of food that go to waste every year due to spoilage by building the most personalized, comfortable grocery experience for working families.
Skills: Machine Learning
Jupiter, is a YC S19 company. Still in stealth mode, they help homes put their favorite grocery items on autopilot. Jupiter pairs families with a team of three people who visit weekly. This team, while delivering products, captures consumption data. Jupiter’s autopilot system uses the data to generate a customer’s cart for the week. As a result, families on Jupiter get time back to spend with their families.
At its core, Jupiter is designing the first proactive product distribution system; One that predicts an individual’s consumption needs before they occur and one that prioritizes the welfare of the planet. Every product we consume today, whether from grocery stores or restaurants use a reactive distribution system — They hold more inventory than what is required because they don’t know how much you will buy. When you don’t buy, the excess inventory is wasted - 10% or 43 billion pounds of food in grocery stores will never make it off the shelf. Food waste is responsible for 8% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions.
Jupiter’s ultimate vision is to create a closed loop product distribution system; one with minimal waste and one that reuses the resources it needs to function.
Jupiter is looking for a talented software engineer to drive the development of our autopilot system. You will be the founding member of the Jupiter autopilot team. Additionally, as a Software engineer at Jupiter, you will contribute development horsepower across the entire product in a highly collaborative environment.
- Work as a member of the Jupiter founding team to design the core of our Autopilot product: building, deploying, and iterating on statistical models for predicting customer- and systems-level consumption patterns
- Apply machine learning techniques to modeling the substitution and recommendation of new products.
- Work directly with the CTO of Jupiter in architecting the data infrastructure required to scale our autopilot product.
- Be willing to be flexible and adaptable to new technical challenges as they arise, whether that be in data science or full-stack etc
Ideal Candidates Will Have:
- 3+ years of professional experience, preferably at an early- or growth-stage startup.
- You have a passion for building (and using) practical abstractions and catching bugs at compile time.
- Background in data science and machine learning
- You're ready to be an individual contributor, design and build sophisticated systems quickly, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in React, TypeScript, Webpack, Kotlin, gRPC & Protobuf
- Experience with Postgres, Docker & Terraform
- Expertise in multiple programming languages and paradigms and/or ability to pick up new technologies quickly
- Proficiency in debugging and building distributed systems on AWS.
- Proven track record of taking ownership in a dynamic environment
- Enjoy being full stack especially working on front-end design & build
Some Traits We Value:
- Advanced graduate degree in quantitative field like economics, mathematics, statistics, or computer science
- Exceptional ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences, and both verbally and in writing
- Basic understanding of statistical techniques and the ability to employ them in solving business problems
- Be an early member of a positive, energetic and dynamic startup
- Competitive salary with meaningful equity ownership and health benefits
- Fully stocked kitchen at the office
- Open vacation policy
- Parental leave
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Apple equipment
Jupiter is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.