Software Engineer, Backend
Change the future of education at Cambly.
English learners can now access seemingly unlimited free content and software for learning vocabulary and grammar. As with any subject, it’s also important to complement that learning with practice to exercise those new skills. For language education, that means having actual conversations with real English speakers.
At Cambly our mission is to provide students with an easy and affordable way to practice and improve their English skills. The Cambly app gives English learners instant 1-on-1 access to friendly native speakers over video chat 24/7. Cambly students speak over 30 languages and live in over 130 countries. English isn’t just a hobby for Cambly students. It’s a critical skill that can change their lives.
We have a small engineering team running a large and rapidly growing business in our SF HQ. We look forward to hearing from you!
Skills: MongoDB, Python, Redis
We're looking for talented engineers who are passionate about changing the way people learn languages. As a Cambly engineer, you'll be part of a small and fast-moving engineering team where you'll have a large impact on all parts of the Cambly platform. We've been growing rapidly among language learners around the world, so you'll get to learn what it's like to join a fast growing startup that's creating opportunities for our students and tutors alike.
As a backend-focused Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for building and scaling a global on-demand video chat marketplace. Our app is simple, but there's a complex system behind the scenes making sure our rapidly growing community of students and tutors are being matched quickly for 1-on-1 tutoring sessions 24/7. You'll also be responsible for making sure we scale up best practices for backend development to maximize our uptime as we grow.
- A product-minded approach to engineering. You should be excited about working directly with our students, tutors, and our international team to make sure students have an amazing experience.
- 3+ years experience building and shipping python backend features quickly as part of a team.
- 3+ years building and maintaining high availability production infrastructure.
- Experience working with MongoDB in production.
- A passion for learning. You fearlessly dive into new and unfamiliar technologies.
- A global perspective. You should be excited about building an app in 10+ languages that integrates with the social networks and payment methods used by our students.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
iOS, Android, Python, React JS