Founding Engineer (Data Engineer)
$100k - $150k • 0.10% - 1.00%
Hi! Thanks for checking out TRM Labs.
We prevent fraud and financial crime for crypto. Ultimately, we enable every financial institution to safely transact and hold crypto. Our goal is to empower billions of people in building a safer financial system.
We launched 3 months ago and are already working with some of the world's largest financial institutions, including a top five global bank.
Our team is based in San Francisco though we have teammates around the world in places like Buenos Aires and Paris. Our team comes from McKinsey, Spotify, Facebook, and Amazon. We just graduated from YC and are backed by Initialized Capital (earliest investors in Coinbase) and Blockchain Capital.
Look forward to meeting you!
Skills: Kubernetes, Python, Scala, Spark, Elasticsearch, Neo4j, HBase, Docker, ETL
Do you want to build critical infrastructure for the next generation of finance?
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join us at a critical time for TRM. We've tapped into a new and growing market: financial institutions are racing to prepare for the world of cryptocurrencies and the work we're doing to 'prevent fraud for crypto' is foundational to them safely transacting and holding crypto. If we're successful, we'll accelerate the adoption of digital assets around the world and enable a more fair and transparent financial system for billions of people.
We're fortunate to have a small, tight-knit team of 10x operators. Most everyone has 10+ years of experience at organizations like Facebook, McKinsey, Harvard, Disney, and Amazon. Outside of work, we're an eclectic bunch -- in our mix, we have a professor of design, a competitive ballroom dancer, and a whitewater kayaking instructor.
We gravitate towards experienced, resourceful, and hard-working people who are low ego, friendly, and transparent. We just graduated from Y Combinator and are looking to grow the six-person family in a few key areas.
That's where you come in – as the first Data Engineer at TRM, you'll will be:.
- Building highly reliable data services to integrate with dozens of blockchains
- Creating ETL pipelines that transform and process petabytes of structured and unstructured data in real-time, ultimately helping financial institutions and governments fight fraud and criminal activity
- Designing data models for optimal storage and retrieval to support sub second latency for querying blockchain data
- Deploying and monitor large data base clusters that are performant and highly-available
- Working cross-functionally with data scientists, backend engineers and product managers to design and implement, and new data models to support the product
- Developing your skills through exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues
Here are some of the Traits we value in our future colleague:
- 3+ years of experience building real-time and distributed system architecture, from whiteboard to production
- Strong programming skills in Node, Python, and SQL.
Versatility. Experience across the entire spectrum of data engineering, including:
- Data stores (e.g., ClickHouse, ElasticSearch, PostGres, MongoDB, Redis, and Neo4j)
- Data pipeline and workflow orchestration tools (e.g., Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, Storm)
- Data processing technologies (e.g., Spark)
- Deployment and monitoring large data base clusters in public cloud platforms (e.g., Docker, Terraform, Datadog)
- Hungry to do work that matters. We see blockchain as a technology that will impact human society at the scale of the Internet. We are committed to make our contribution count.
- Adaptable. Goals can change fast. You anticipate and react quickly.
- Autonomous. You own what you work on. You move fast and get things done.
- Excellent communication. You will need communicate complex ideas effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences, and both verbally and in writing
- Collaborative. You must work collaboratively in a cross-functional team and with people at all levels in an organization
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems is a plus.
- Relevant experience in crypto/blockchain is a plus
- $2,000 yearly coupon for books, conferences, and professional coaching
- Competitive salary
- Paid time off
- Volunteer time off
- Parental leave
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Apple equipment
- Daily lunch and dinner
If you're looking for a fast-paced, early-stage startup with promising growth trajectory, a ton of individual ownership, and inspiring colleagues, please reach out!
TRM Labs is an equal opportunity employer.
TRM ingests billions of cryptocurrency transactions and millions of proprietary data points to assign risk scores to every cryptocurrency wallet and detect high-risk activity.
Our frontend is a single-page application built on React with a Redux state management. Our backend is composed of various services using tech like Nodejs, Redis, RabbitMQ, Docker, Postgres, ElasticSearch, BigQuery, & Spark.