Back-End Developer (Early Career)
$45k - $55k •
What we do
With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
Our two-sided marketplace and ambitious growth plans come with many interesting challenges around how to accelerate growth, as we move from running thousands of studies a month, to tens of thousands. We hope to become the go-to infrastructure layer for "human responses" that empowers anybody – individuals, businesses, and governments – to make more evidence-based decisions.
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, raised seed funding, and have decided to grow and scale the company from London, UK.
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by relevant team members. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in London, UK, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
Our core values
Prolific’s values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our business and its behaviour are based. They are the guiding principles that we use to manage ourselves as well as our relationship with customers.
Open Prolific aims to be as open as possible in the way it works, both externally and internally. This means that we put in place policies and practices that bring information out into the open wherever possible. We also support the principles of Open Science.
Thoughtful At Prolific we try to be thoughtful about everything we do. This means that we consider the short-and long-term consequences of our actions and decisions, both for users and coworkers, and society more generally. It also means we value and encourage diversity and inclusion.
Trustworthy Researchers, Participants, and anyone else we interact with should have trust in dealing with us, and in the results produced by our platform. Within our company we strive to be fair in the way we deal with each other and the decisions we make.
Improving human knowledge At the core of Prolific is the aim to improve human knowledge. Every decision we make ultimately works towards this goal.
We're looking for someone that is early in their software development career and wants to take the next step. You'll play a key role in developing our core back-end Python services. You should have a bit of professional experience as a developer and are capable of learning on the job. We're looking for a candidate that will grow with us. We’re an early stage startup so you’ll have the opportunity to have significant influence over the trajectory of our products.
Our back-end uses Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, Redis, MongoDB and Postgres, as well as Vue.js on the front-end. For infrastructure we use Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform. You won't be expected to know everything on day one and will be provided with time and support to learn about these technologies at your own pace.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch! Driven, self-motivated candidates are encouraged to apply.
What you'll be doing:
- Building and maintaining applications primarily written in Python and Django.
- Solving difficult technical challenges.
- Collaborating with a multi-disciplined team, including front-end engineers, product managers and researchers.
- Writing unit and integration tests for your code - we have a strong testing culture.
- Learning new skills and processes with the guidance of senior developers.
- Ability to write programs in Python or a similar programming language.
- Basic knowledge of Django or a similar framework/library.
- Good communication and teamwork skills.
- Motivated and keen to develop your skills and knowledge as a developer.
Nice to have:
- Experience working with databases.
- Familiarity with automated testing.
- Knowledge of REST and working with APIs.
- An understanding of the broader Python ecosystem.
- What we offer:
- Salary: £35,000 - 42,000 (p.a.)
- Employee stock options scheme.
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Flexible hours: We have core hours of 10am - 3pm (with an hour for lunch), but the rest is up to you.
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem. 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays (which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- Budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.