Back-End Developer (Early Career)
$45k - $55k •
We're looking for someone that is early in their software development career and wants to take the next step. You'll play a key role in developing our core back-end Python services. You should have a bit of professional experience as a developer and are capable of learning on the job. We're looking for a candidate that will grow with us. We’re an early stage startup so you’ll have the opportunity to have significant influence over the trajectory of our products.
Our back-end uses Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, Redis, MongoDB and Postgres, as well as Vue.js on the front-end. For infrastructure we use Kubernetes running on Google Cloud Platform. You won't be expected to know everything on day one and will be provided with time and support to learn about these technologies at your own pace.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch! Driven, self-motivated candidates are encouraged to apply.
What you'll be doing:
- Building and maintaining applications primarily written in Python and Django.
- Solving difficult technical challenges.
- Collaborating with a multi-disciplined team, including front-end engineers, product managers and researchers.
- Writing unit and integration tests for your code - we have a strong testing culture.
- Learning new skills and processes with the guidance of senior developers.
- Ability to write programs in Python or a similar programming language.
- Basic knowledge of Django or a similar framework/library.
- Good communication and teamwork skills.
- Motivated and keen to develop your skills and knowledge as a developer.
Nice to have:
- Experience working with databases.
- Familiarity with automated testing.
- Knowledge of REST and working with APIs.
- An understanding of the broader Python ecosystem.
- What we offer:
- Salary: £35,000 - 42,000 (p.a.)
- Employee stock options scheme.
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Flexible hours: We have core hours of 10am - 3pm (with an hour for lunch), but the rest is up to you.
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem. 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays (which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- Budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.