Staff Software Engineer
$140k - $170k • 0.10% - 0.25%
BillionToOne has developed a DNA molecular counter that increases the cell-free DNA diagnostics resolution by over 1,000 fold. We are the only technology platform that can detect single-gene disorders in an unborn baby from maternal blood and that can accurately quantify copy number variation (CNV) changes in cancer patients. Our first product, UNITY, is the only NIPT that accurately detects single gene disorders such as cystic fibrosis and sickle cell in the baby from a blood test of the mother. UNITY covers all inherited disorders that every pregnancy needs to be tested for and has 98.5%+ sensitivity and 99%+ specificity.
BillionToOne has recently raised a large Series A funding from global institutional investors, including from Hummingbird Ventures, NeoTribe Ventures and Y Combinator: https://www.genomeweb.com/molecular-diagnostics/prenatal-testing-firm-billiontoone-closes-15m-series-financing
Check out a simplified introduction to our technology and its potential to transform molecular diagnostics:
Skills: Django, Python, Heroku, PostgreSQL
Do you want to develop prenatal diagnostics that can affect the lives of millions of expecting parents? BillionToOne (Y Combinator S17) is looking for a Staff Software Engineer. We apply bioengineering and machine learning principles to diagnostics in order to build truly quantitative molecular tests. Our QCT platform improves resolution of cell-free DNA testing by >1000x fold and enables novel tests for both prenatal and oncology care.
If you have experience in full stack development, love seeing your work positively affect your colleagues, and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Who you are:
- At least 6 years experience in professional software development
- Experience working on both backend and frontend systems
- Experience with cloud infrastructure such as AWS
- Proven track record of shipping software
Nice to haves:
- Prior work experience at a growth startup
- One-on-one technical leadership: Code review, pair programming, individual mentorship, hiring.
- Systems and process leadership: devops playbooks, CI+CD, defining testing environments and practices.
- Writing and coordinating: System design, setting technical milestones, coordinating dependencies / critical path with other eng. teams.
- Individual contributions.
Software tech stack
- Django / django rest framework
DNA sequencing tech stack
- Illumina high throughput sequencing
- Sanger sequencing
- Genome Analysis Toolkit / samtools / bedtools