React Native Engineer
0.00% - 1.00%
Habitat is a logistics solution for restaurants seeking a drop-in delivery solution for their online, third-party, and call-in orders. We provide a tablet to restaurants that aggregates their orders, and allows them to request a driver. To put it simply, there's no consumer facing app - to the end customer, we ARE the restaurant.
We've been in business for 3 years, and are established in the Philadelphia metro area and Newark, Delaware. As recently funded graduates from the Winter 2019 YCombinator batch, we are poised to enter an additional 3 markets by the end of this year.
We are seeking a React Native pro with demonstrated expertise in design, development, testing and release of business-critical mobile apps. We have two 'internal' apps that, although have met the business requirements for the past 2 years, also have several opportunities to improve leaps and bounds from a UI/UX, reliability, and performance perspective.
- Runner App: Essentially a bootstrapped version of the Uber Eats driver app. Basic view / complete tasks, view / pick up shifts, view completed orders and tasks functionality.
- Restaurant App: A tablet the restaurants keeps at the front-of-house, used to receive inbound deliveries from online partners, or request a driver for a call in order.
Our ideal candidate is especially proficient and passionate about UI/UX, identifies additional areas of improvement readily, enjoys short and impactful software development cycles, and is eventually looking to grow into a full-on Product Owner at an established and growing YC startup!
Goals for this job:
- Improve user experience for managing inbound orders (restaurant app)
- Create an intuitive onboarding experience (runner app)
- Improve background-geolocation reliability / deeper integration with react-native-maps (restaurant app)
- Integrate Code Push for hot deployments (both)
- Maintain versioning, update libraries as necessary (both)
- Establish testing architecture and writing UI tests (both)
- Remote (in person if you're in Philadelphia)
- 20-40 hours/week
- Github normal PR flow / Asana for project tracking
Questions for applicants to answer:
- How long have you been working with React Native?
- How much experience do you have with underlying iOS / Android development?
- What tools do you use for prototyping designs?
- Any mockups / prototypes / open source work?
Habitat has a strong emphasis on real-time, high-reliability software, and are leveraging cutting edge operations research, machine learning, and simulation technology for demand forecasting, capacity planning, and our secret sauce - the dispatch algorithm.
For our web stacks, we use Typescript/NodeJS/React/React Native, backed by PostgreSQL and hosted via Heroku. On the data/machine learning side, we primarily use Python/scikit-learn/MLFlow/Airflow w/ PostgreSQL hosted on AWS.