Full-Stack Engineer Video Conferencing & Screen Sharing
$60k - $90k • 0.10% - 0.80%
Demodesk is are building the world's first intelligent online meeting platform for customer interactions - think of Zoom 2.0 combined with Gong/Salesloft. What makes us different from Zoom, Google Meet and alikes is our unique approach to screen sharing. We don’t record the presenter's local desktop screen but use cloud-based virtual displays. By doing that, we can automatically load the right presentation content, assist the presenter in real-time by displaying talk tracks and battle cards without the customer noticing, and have significantly more data to analyze than existing tools. Demodesk seamlessly integrates within a sales process and helps sales teams increase productivity by automating all workflows from meeting scheduling to preparation and CRM logging. We are serving 200 customers today (mostly B2B SaaS in the US and Europe) and are growing at double digit rates every month. We are a hybrid-remote team of 30 international employees with offices in Munich and SF and plan to triple in size over the next 12 months. Our vision is to become the leading online meeting platform for customer interactions. We want to enable anyone to have a great remote customer conversation. Rather than replacing human interactions, we want to augment the seller’s conversation skills by using our disruptive technology. We believe that there is an incredible opportunity to disrupt the way we, as humans, communicate. We like to use the example of self-driving cars – Today, we have cars that analyze endless amounts of data in real-time and help the driver augment his driving skills, up to the point where the car almost drives independently. When you compare this with remote conversations, the opportunity for improvement is astounding. Today, there are only functional communication tools that let us hear someone, see someone, and record a desktop screen. Imagine having this functionality combined with the vast amounts of valuable data flowing through these servers. This data is not yet being harnessed to enable people to have amazing conversations with one-another. We are about to change that. Join us on this incredibly exciting journey!
// About us
Demodesk is building the world's first intelligent online meeting platform with the vision to enable anyone to have great customer conversations. Web conferencing tools that are being used today are purely functional. They hardly offer anything beyond video calling and local desktop sharing. In a time where almost all companies build web-based software, it's needlessly complicated to route screen sharing through local desktops still. And even though AI and NLP are slowly upgrading call recording, vendors are still having a hard time making sense of sales conversations at scale and tracking meaningful data.
We have developed a new approach to screen sharing. Traditional tools only record a video of the presenter's local desktop screen. We set up a 100% web-based virtual display instead, that anyone can access by just clicking a link. By utilizing a virtual display, our software can automatically load the right presentation content at the meeting start, provide real-time conversational guidance on the sales rep's side without the customer seeing it and have significantly more data to analyze than existing tools.
Help us redefine web conferencing and be ready to play an essential role in achieving this goal by joining our international team in San Francisco and Munich.
As a member of our “machine” team you will be working on the heart of our product - the video and screen sharing technology. After being fully onboarded into our team, you will be able to define the technical requirements for different product features, pick the best technology for the use case and develop new services from scratch. Of course you will also work together with the team improving the current code base in the backend as well as in the frontend.
Current tech stack: Frontend: Vue.js, Webpack, SCSS, Pug Web backend: Ruby on Rails, Postgresql, Redis Microservices: Ruby, Node.js Infrastructure: Google Cloud, AWS, Kubernetes, Helm, Terraform Monitoring: ELK, Loki, Grafana Fully automated CI/CD pipelines for code quality, testing, and deploying
- Help us scale video conferencing: You are responsible for developing new features and improving existing ones in the video conferencing and screen sharing part of our product. This includes microservices for recording, rendering, and conferencing.
- Develop within all parts of the stack: Your job will be mainly focused on the backend, but you are always happy to help out with frontend development or code reviews.
- Write beautiful code: You document well and and see the importance of testing. Due to your previous experience you are able to break down tasks and execute them in an efficient way.
- Constant learning: You are excited by technical challenges and are always on the lookout for new technologies. With your curiosity you are always searching for the best technology for each use case and pick up new languages and frameworks fast.
- You help anyone in the team succeed: You make effective and successful work possible by clear and honest communication in order to develop a shared understanding of the long-term vision and immediate next actions. When you don’t fully understand something, you ask lots of questions and use the opportunity to learn and grow.
// Your Profile
- ~3 years professional experience in Web Development working with python or ruby (node.js beneficial)
- Ideally previous experience in ruby (extensive experience in python is also fine, you will pick up ruby fast)
- At least one project working with distributed systems
- Profound knowledge of how to set up efficient systems for scaling
- Experience working on a product with a high number of users
- Ideally previous experience in real time applications
- Desire for high code quality and system security through automation, unit testing and structured code reviews
// Why us
- Well-funded and backed by Silicon Valley's top investors and angels, including Y Combinator
- Fast-growing, diverse and international team of tech enthusiasts and entrepreneurs
- Unique proprietary screen sharing technology using a demanding tech stack
- Full responsibility from day one and being part of our hierarchy-free and results-driven working environment
- Competitive salary plus optional stock compensation package
- Flexible working hours and annual travel allowance for working remotely
- Attractive perks including gym memberships, German language course, top of the line MacBook or Linux machine, professional development budget of 1.500 € per year
- Regular team events like dinners, Oktoberfest, ski trips and much more
Our tech is very diverse and ranges from ES2019 in the frontend to C in the backend. Generally we use:
- Frontend: Vue.js, ES2019, Webpack, SCSS
- Web backend: Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Redis
- Microservices: Node.js, Sinatra, C, X11
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, Kubernetes and GKE for orchestration, Grafana