$110k - $150k • 0.10% - 1.00%
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is a stealth-mode company that emerged from Y-Combinator and raised Seed financing led by Andreessen Horowitz in late 2017. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $200 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Skills: CAD Design
Elegen is looking for an extraordinary results-driven engineer with a scientific mind to make fundamental contributions towards developing and deploying an exciting and novel microfluidic technology. You would join a small and growing world-class team to lead or contribute to various research and development activities relating to this technology.
The company’s mission is to deploy a new generation of DNA synthesizers aimed at enabling and accelerating biomedical advances. Lab synthesized DNA is an essential ingredient used daily in nearly all biomedical research and synthetic biology. Compared to current synthesizers, our technology allows a vast increase in the number of distinct DNA sequences synthesized per unit time.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and innovative engineer to work alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best to develop an entirely new technology. The company culture focuses on building a high functioning, collaborative, and efficient team that is constantly innovating and iterating. We care about achieving and communicating rigorous measurable results. We do this while maintaining the highest degree of mutual respect, fairness, and integrity. We take particular interest in candidates committed to personal growth and accelerating their careers.
Salary plus equity and benefits commensurate with a seed stage venture.
- Drive our technology towards commercial deployment by applying skills in innovation to design, prototype, test, and analyze microfluidic components and systems.
- Establish and communicate ambitious timelines and objectives.
- Collaborate and assist with implementation of control and data acquisition systems.
- Be willing to learn and develop new skills by contributing to areas outside of expertise, whether it be chemistry, biology, or even marketing.
- Assist with the generation of intellectual property, including identifying opportunities, writing IP disclosures, and working with patent attorneys.
- Help the organization build a strong culture rooted in collaborative innovation, fairness and respect, as well as continuous growth and improvement.
Minimum Candidate Requirements:
- PhD, or Masters degree plus two years of experience in an engineering field.
- Can relate at least one clear example of successfully advancing any engineered device, system, or process from concept to working prototype.
- Can relate at least one clear example of successfully advancing an electrokinetic, electroosmotic, or pressure-driven microfluidic device from concept to working prototype.
- Proficient in CAD (e.g., Fusion 360, Autocad).
Additional Valuable Experiences:
- Instrument prototyping, development, design for manufacturability.
- Photolithography or similar microfabrication techniques for MEMS or precision microfluidic devices.
- Proficient in at least one programming language.
- Leading internal teams or external collaborators/contractors.
- Knowledge of synthetic or organic chemistry, or molecular biology.
Key candidate characteristics:
- Demonstrable ability to achieve results quickly, often through improvised or inventive ways.
- Versatile, adaptable, and able to wear many hats to help the team achieve its mission.
- Excels at evaluating large set of possibilities and tradeoffs in complex engineered systems and selecting an optimal solution.
- Is extremely detail oriented and executes rigorous experimentation.
- Is a persuasive and organized technical communicator.
- Works well with others and enjoys a highly collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrates the highest level of professional integrity.
Elegen is developing an exciting and novel microfluidic technology. The company’s mission is to deploy this technology in a new generation of DNA synthesizers aimed at enabling and accelerating biomedical advances. Lab synthesized DNA is an essential ingredient used daily in nearly all biomedical research and synthetic biology. Compared to current synthesizers, our technology allows a vast increase in the number of distinct DNA sequences synthesized per unit time.