Head of Engineering - Solve the World's Dumbest Problem at Copia
$105k - $110k • 1.00% - 3.00%
Problem: Every day in America, we waste 3X more food than there are mouths to feed. Hunger is not a scarcity problem; it's a logistics problem.
Copia’s Solution: For the first time ever, we can effectively donate prepared and highly perishable food to those who need it when they need it most. Copia is a for-profit company that has built technology allowing food donors (e.g., Compass Group, corporate cafeterias, universities, hospitals, grocers, caterers etc.) to easily request pickups of their excess food, have it matched, and safely delivered to non-profits in need.
Copia's platform enables businesses to seamlessly request pickups of their excess food and have it instantly matched and delivered to nonprofits in need. Our unique technology provides data and analytics with actionable insights to dramatically reduce future over-production and over-purchasing.
We provide businesses with the easiest and most effective way to donate their excess food, save money by lowering disposal and overproduction costs, receive tax significant tax savings on donated food, and reduce environmental footprint by keeping food out of landfills. We also provide businesses with photos, recipient testimonials, and PR to engage with their customers and employees - saving food, saving money, saving the environment, and of course, feeding the hungry - everybody wins!
Copia is looking for an experienced Head of Engineering to help us build the most scalable product suite to solve food waste and hunger across the country, and eventually, the world.
As Head of Engineering, you will preside over the entire Frontend and Backend development teams. You will be driving the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of integrated web systems in order to support and accelerate Copia’s growth. You will collaborate with Copia's CEO, Product Manager, as well our Sales, Marketing, Design, and Operations teams in order to roll out new web systems and products and implement ongoing process improvements of our current systems and products.
- Manage product strategy and development for Copia’s technology platform across customer, driver and recipient stakeholders.
- Completely own team's products, existing or new, from ideation, through development, to launch, growth and maintenance.
- Develop and manage roadmaps, priorities, experiments, and decisions across a wide spectrum of audiences from the internal team to investors.
- Ensure that technical designs support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, maintainability, and security.
- Establish instrumentation, logging, tracking, reporting, and analytics tools to allow for data collection and optimization of the user experience.
- Scale the team by continuing to recruit top talent; structuring the team to align effectively with the Engineering, Growth, Ops, Sales and Marketing teams.
- Build an engineering culture that utilizes agile engineering and manages projects through short sprints with the goal of constant product releases and improvements that consistently delight our customers.
- Experience leading a team of engineers and managing a suite of products through multiple life cycles. (Experience in product management or product design is a plus).
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a natural comfort to work with our B2B customers and nonprofit partners to study and improve our product suite.
- Ability to quickly absorb technical concepts and effectively communicate them to a non-technical audience.
- 3+ years of work experience as a Lead Engineer or Engineering Manager at a technology company.
Preferred Qualifications (The nice to have):
- 3+ years hands-on experience with database technologies at scale (either SQL or NoSQL)
- Experience with object-oriented programming language(s). Java/Kotlin is preferred, though C++, C#, etc. is also acceptable
- Experience in building two-sided marketplaces
- Experience in building B2B platform ecosystems
- Experience in database architecture
- Experience working with external partners in a product management or technical role
- A BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or Engineering from a top school is great, though a wonderful project list is even better
- Execution-focused: Work effectively across functions to ensure the best outcome for the business. Entrepreneurial “own the outcome” mindset applied at scale and through working with others. Ruthless about the prioritization of goals, strategies and individual tasks. Should create a culture of pride in flawless execution, timely delivery, and quality delivery, always.
- Gravitas/Leadership: Experience leading a team that is aligned with extremely cross-functional stakeholders (i.e. not only partnering with engineering, but also work closely with our sales, operations, and marketing teams).
- Demonstrated experience in hiring, mentoring, coaching and retaining a high-performing engineering team. You exhibit poise, composure, and dynamism to motivate and instill confidence among team and leadership.
- Insight-driven, analytical thinker: a track record of leveraging both internal user data and customer insights to help define the product experience.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- A unique opportunity to solve some of the industry’s (and world's) most exciting and pressing problems
- Comprehensive health coverage, commuter benefits, competitive salary, and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Modern, uplifting work environment in an ideal location
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Weekly team lunches and bi-monthly team outings
- And much more…